The Catholic Church takes marriage very seriously and thus requires a period of preparation and discernment including:
- At least one year of planning and prayerful reflection on the part of the couple, in contact with their parish priest, deacon or pastoral assistant.
- A series of at least THREE meetings with the priest or deacon or pastoral associate
- 1. 9-12 months for intake interview- usually with Pastoral Associate
- 2. 5-6 months before wedding- with priest or deacon
- 3. 2-3 months before wedding to plan the celebration with priest or deacon
- You are responsible for setting up these meetings.
It is also required by the Church that every couple attend PRE-CANA which will be explained at the first meeting. Pre-Cana is usually a one or two day commitment and there are various opportunities made available throughout the Diocese. The Pre-Cana schedule is available to you by clicking the link for the Diocese of Trenton.